Edward Payson Crane continued to serve as the Professor of Latin and Rhetoric, although in 1874 his title was changed to Professor of Rhetoric and Logic. He taught throughout the decade and was the central figure in the teaching of rhetoric, oratory and English literature at the Western University. He was a popular teacher and a well-known figure on campus and in the city. According to Agnes Starrett, “His oratorical exhibitions just before Christmas were a great occasion for the boys and their parents. These performances featured ‘Paul Revere’s Ride,’ ‘Marco Bozzaris,’ and ‘Spartacus to the Gladiator’.”
Crane remained at the University until 1882. He was appointed U.S. consul at Stuttgart, Germany in 1887, a position which he held for the following three years, and later at Hanover from 1893 to 1897.
Theodore Moses Barber was appointed as Instructor in Latin in 1870, and then, in 1873, he was promoted to Professor of Latin. In the 1870s, he also regularly offered courses in English language and literature. He was given the title “Professor of English” in the 1880s. At the end of the decade of the 70s, he served as Secretary of the College Faculty.
I.N Forner continued as an Instructor in the Commercial Branches (in the Preparatory Department), where among his duties he taught courses in grammar, orthography, and letter writing. He also served as Secretary of the Preparatory Faculty.
Frank A. Barr was hired in 1875 as an additional Instructor for the Preparatory department. He served as the publisher of the Pittsburgh College Journal, a student edited monthly magazine. He left in 1877.
Oscar M. Tucker joined the faculty as an Instructor in 1877 to replace Frank Barr. Tucker had served as Captain of a Maine regiment in the Civil War. He settled in Wilkinsburg in 1870. Tucker was an avid gardener and outdoorsman. He is said to have introduced the first tree moving machine to Pittsburgh and, moving the trees through the city streets at night to avoid the traffic, planted 32 mature trees on the grounds of Greenlawn, the Homewood mansion of H.J. Heinz.