Teaching & Tutoring

Several possibilities are available to undergraduates who want to get a taste of teaching and begin to acquire some first-hand experience. All UTA experiences in the English Department comply with the Guidelines for Arts and Sciences Undergraduate Teaching Experience.

Undergraduate Teaching Assistant

You can work for an individual faculty member who wants a teaching assistant. We register you as an English “Independent Study”: Obtain a form from the English Advising office, which both you and the instructor for whom you will serve as TA fill out and sign, then return it to us so that we may assign it a “class number” (5-digit number for registration purposes), and give you a permission number for self-enrollment.

Students who are working with a course in the Composition program may use the ENGCMP 1901 UTA: Teaching and Tutoring Writing course number.


Tutoring for the University Writing Center is a rewarding experience for anyone interested in the teaching of writing, literacy, editing and publishing, and working one-on-one with fellow students and writers. To become a peer tutor, you should

  1. Enroll in the course ENGCMP 1210, Tutoring Peer Writers, offered in the Fall semester.
  2. Enroll as a Peer Intern in the Writing Center in the Spring semester for three credits.

The following year, you may apply for employment in the Writing Center for pay but not credit. For more information, visit the Writing Center's peer tutoring page.